Irish Network of Learning Cities
The Irish Network of Learning Cities (INLC) is a five-city joint initiative to promote learning across the cities, the city regions and the island of Ireland. The cities include Limerick, Cork, Belfast, Derry and Dublin. The aim of the Irish Network of Learning Cities is to ensure a shared dedication to strengthening friendly relations and enhancing cooperation between the peoples of the cities and city regions. In May 2022 the Lord Mayors of Belfast, Cork, Dublin and the Mayors of Limerick and Derry City and Strabane Region signed a formal agreement to commit each city to work together and provide mutual support to help deliver on the vision of a learning city for all citizens.
In 2021, The Mayors and Lord Mayors of the five cities took part in the annual ‘Irish Learning Cities Day’ on Thursday 30th September as part of a celebration of learning for the Irish Network. We are delighted to be part of this network and we support each other’s key initiatives and work very closely together.
We produced a number of videos for the day with the Mayors from the other cities. Watch the video with the Mayors here:
We also produced our own Learning Limerick Video for the day with our Mayor of Limerick City and County, Councillor Daniel Butler and Chairperson of Learning Limerick, Eimear Brophy. Watch the video here:
The Irish Network of Learning Cities benefits all five cities and adds value to the efforts of individual cities. In line with the mission of the UNESCO GNLC, the network shares learning and best practice and support each other on issues of common interest. It is widely recognised that learning throughout all stages of life contributes positively to health and wellbeing as well as to employment and skills – ultimately building a stronger society for the future of Limerick.
INLC Programmes and Events
During the past three years the Irish Network of Learning Cities has collaborated on many programmes and events. As a network we want to work together to celebrate learning, highlight what’s on offer across the cities and city regions and we want to celebrate the achievements of learners. Irish network member cities jointly participated in:
- The world’s first Virtual Festival of Learning, hosted by Derry Strabane Learning City in July 2020;
- Limerick’s first hybrid festival in May 2022; featuring joint support and participation for each city’s festival flagship seminar events.
- Cork Learning City’s conference webinars for the Cluster of Learning Cities for Health and Well-being;
- Belfast Learning City’s ‘Learn Well-Live Well’ Report on Adult Learning, Health and Well-being launched February 2021
- ‘Conversations with Learners’ international webinar event as part of the Global Learning Festival – November 2021.
- Cork Celebrating Lifelong Learning Awards 2021 – with all five cities sharing best practice and assisting in the judging process for the Awards.