Social media is one of the most effective, immediate, and cheapest methods of promoting an event for this year’s Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival. It has the potential to reach a global audience (we dream big here at Learning Limerick) and affords a direct line of communication between you and your audience.
Why visuals are so important on social media?
- You have limited time to catch your audience’s eye.
- Our world has a beauty bias.
- They’re shared more often.
- They help you grow your social media following.
- Visuals are understood faster.
Here are some top tips and tricks we have found to be very useful over the years:
- Take Your Own Photos: Stock photos are always an option, but sometimes it is better to have your own photos. This will give your post its own, unique feel.
- Utilize Emojis Creatively: If you can use emojis in your posts, do so. They fuel your posts with creativity and personality. Use them wisely and you’ll be able to identify with your audience and appeal to their emotions. Make sure you keep your emojis relevant to the content.
- Mention Others in Your Content: Mentioning others in your content is a powerful social media tip. It shows you’re networking and promoting others. It’s so easy to do and they’ll be glad for the mention. They may even reshare your post. This will be of benefit to you, especially if they have a large audience.
- Use the Right Hashtags: When used correctly, hashtags can help you reach a wider audience. Hashtags on Instagram make your post appear on the discover page. Hashtags don’t work equally across all platforms; they gain huge engagement on Instagram but not so much on Facebook. The hashtags you post should be relevant to the piece of content.
- Add a Call to Action: Create engaging social media content by adding call to actions (CTAs) to your posts. Without one, people won’t take any action after reading your post. Make sure to tell people what you’d like them to do. The goal when social media posting is to have an immediate action, so simply adding “Contact Us” or “Register” can help.
- Get to the Point: Write your posts in a way that is simple and quick to read. This means you should reduce the complexity of your writing as much as possible. As a result, you have a higher likelihood of rea
ching more people. Another wonderful way is to use captions, bullets and lists where possible to make your content easier to take in and try to keep the paragraphs to two or three sentences.
- Headline: It’s extremely important that your headline draws attention and makes readers want to know more. They should be short and hit the sweet spot with carefully selected wording. What Are Power Words? Strong, powerful words that make someone take notice. Also known as “Power Phrases”, they’re used in headlines for different types of content. You want people to see the headline and think they have no other choice but to read it. Examples: Amazing, Life-Changing, Exciting etc.
Don’t Wait to Create a Great Social Media Graphic!
Good news! These days you don’t have to be a graphic designer to create some eye-catching graphics to jazz up your posts. We are big fans of the graphic design platform Canva for all of our visual needs.
Canva is a graphic design platform that is used to create social media graphics, posters and presentations. The app includes readymade templates for users to use and the platform is free and offers paid subscriptions. Ramp up your social media game by adding beautifully designed graphics! Choose from their library of professionally designed layouts for Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and more.
To learn more about Canva go to Learn – Canva Blog
Don’t forget to promote your post!
You can write the most engaging post in the world, but it won’t matter if people won’t see it. Try these tactics to reach your audience:
- If you have a strong email and social media following, share your posts on all your platforms.
- Take advantage of Facebook, Google Plus Communities and LinkedIn Groups to promote your posts among your peers. Being active within those groups will help generate activity in your posts outreach.
- You can also pay to promote a post on Facebook, sponsor a tweet, or a LinkedIn post.
For more information on how to promote your event visit Avoid a Promotion Commotion! – Learning Limerick
For a more comprehensive guide on organising, hosting and promoting an event at this year’s Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival visit www.learninglimerick.ie or any of our social media platforms to see our 2023 line-up plus much, much more. “Come learn with me in 2023.”
Written by Nessan O’Neill